Sunday 8 April 2012

Review: Philosophy Hope in a Jar Oil Free Moisturizer


Philosophy makes a few variations on their "Hope in a Jar" moisturizer (60ml/$39.00), and I purchased the oil-free version because I have acne-prone skin. This version is formulated to be lightweight, and easily absorbed. It is supposed to go on matte and keep your pores clear, and your skin soothed.
This facial moisturizer is by no means cheap, and I find the scent of it to be particularly off-putting. It smells very chalky, and the scent completely lingers on the skin and is noticeable after application. On top of this, I do not find this cream to be very moisturizing. In fact, I have been applying two layers of it in the mornings, and then two more at night. Maybe this will work better for me in the summer time when my skin is more greasy, because at this point I am finding it unsatisfactory for keeping my skin well-moisturized. I am almost finished with my LUSH Vanishing Cream, and once it is gone I had planned to switch fully over to Hope in a Jar, so I have started using it occasionally to phase it into my skin routine. The scent is such a killer for me. I will keep using it and see if my skin starts to like it more. I might need to use a heavier cream until summer time. Hope in a Jar Oil Free reminds me a lot of Enzymion facial moisturizer by LUSH in its lightness and in how it goes on matte. Too bad it doesn't smell nearly as good ;)

Overall, my opinion on this cream is that it absorbs easily into the skin, and it leaves a matte finish as promised. If you have very greasy skin, you will love this cream. However, if you have combination skin like me, you might find this cream to lack the heaviness you need for the dryer parts of your face. The scent is also displeasing. Since phasing this into my skin care routine, I have not experienced any more break outs than usual, so I would say that it is not acne-triggering.
What are your thoughts on this cult-classic? It seems everyone knows someone who has tried it or swears by using Philosophy's Hope in a Jar.
--S

7 comments:

  1. i love love philosophy in a jar! sad to hear that the oil free version is not so great because i'm kinda acne prone! bleh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I had such high hopes because everyone seems to love it! I am hoping it'll work out better for me once warmer weather comes around.

      Delete
  2. Personally, I don't like Hope in a Jar...mainly because of the smell. I definitely can't get over it. I think, if it's going to have a scent, then have a nice scent, otherwise, don't bother. Great review though!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true, they could add a light perfume or something to make it more enjoyable! I wonder why they don't? Happy Easter to you as well <3

      Delete
  3. Scent is a big thing for me and if it's too strong I cannot stand it! Great review (as always) though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it seems I am not alone in my dislike of the scent, haha! Thanks <3

      Delete
  4. I don't care for Hope in a Jar either. I guess my expectations were high because I've heard so many great things about it. I'll be doing a review on it soon if not this week.
    I saw you stopped by my blog and found me on blog hop. Be sure to follow my page if ou want my blog posts to show up on your reading list :)
    new follower :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...