Tuesday 16 October 2012

TOPBOX - October 2012

Yesterday evening when I came home from a lovely dinner out to celebrate my boyfriends birthday, I found a little present waiting for me in my mailbox! It was my October Topbox, which is always a welcome surprise :)


For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, Topbox is one of Canada's subscription beauty box programs. For only $10 a month (plus tax) you get a lovely box filled with premium cosmetic samples delivered right to your door. You can usually expect four samples per month, although sometimes you get more!

In my September Topbox I received:
Aveda Invati Shampoo and Conditioner samples (10 ml each) (full size shampoo retails for $27.00/200 ml)
MaskerAide Facial Sheet Masks (one mask) (retails for $4.99)
Stila "eye shadow palette" (this is not a real palette. It is a piece of paper with a little one-use trial of eye shadow on it) (value: I would say $0.00) (full size retails for $50.00/14g)
Stila Lip Glaze in 'raspberry' (1.5ml) (full size retails for $29.00/2.4ml)
Aveda Invati, Stila Lip Glaze in 'raspberry'

Stila "eye shadow palette" 

MaskerAide Mask in 'detox diva'
So there you have it, October's Topbox. I will note that Topbox recently accepted what I can only assume was a large amount of new subscribers. I say this based on the hundreds of posts on their Facebook wall by excited new subscribers who finally went off the wait list. I was worried this influx of new Topboxers would affect the quality of the boxes, and if this is my only box to judge, I would say the quality has gone down considerably. The Aveda Invati hair samples are so tiny, it won't likely be enough for one single shower for me, since I have long hair. One single wash is not enough to tell if you like a product, and at $27.00 a pop I doubt I would splurge on this product without trying it out with a decent sized sample.
The MaskerAide mask is lovely, and since I have already reviewed them, I can say this is a great product and I am very glad to see it in Topbox! I hope all the subscribers enjoy this lovely face mask, which is from a Canadian company! The Stila "eyeshadow palette" is the sorriest excuse for a "palette" I have ever come across. Topbox made a mistake in labeling this a palette in their description card, they should've called it an eye shadow sampler or something. To me, this is not a real sample. This is the type of thing you get for free in a magazine page. The big redeeming item in this box was definitely the Stila lip glaze, which is a very generous 1.5ml sample and will last quite a while. Overall, this was definitely not one of my favourite Topboxes. I always rave about how wonderful they are, but this month I was a bit disappointed. I won't cancel quite yet though, they have a great track record and I will hope that next month is better!

What do you think of the October Topbox?
--S


Topbox is currently on a waiting list, so if you are at all interested in getting a subscription you should go to their website and get on the wait list today! 

You can read about my May Topbox here. June Topbox here, July Topbox here, August Topbox here, September Topbox here

57 comments:

  1. I love the lipglaze - I got one long ago with a Strawberry Net order and used it up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still on the wait list but you did mention a good point... more subscribers might cause the quality to go down. I hope when I finally get on the list, the items will be like the ones I've seen a few months back! Thanks for providing these reviews, it makes my 'beauty box subscription' decision a whole lot easier!
    xx Grace
    ouihui.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think Topbox is the best beauty box in Canada. Glossybox is shady and now quite over priced at $21/month, Glymm is way too hit and miss (usually a miss), BB5 is shipped from the USA and the samples are also hit and miss, Julep is good if you like getting polish but the polish quality leaves something to be desired. Luxebox isn't my personal cup of tea.

      Delete
  3. What version # is your box?
    I'm still waiting for mine, it was suppose to come today :S It's going to be my first Topbox, I'm excited :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine this morning, would appreciate if you checked it out :) I mentioned your blog :)
      http://tatianas87.blogspot.ca/2012/10/topbox-october-2012.html

      Delete
  4. Wow, that Stila "eyeshadow palette" is the stupidest thing I have ever seen! These box things are really getting worse and worse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stilla lipgloss is gorgeous!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea I am a little worried as mine is on the way and it's my first one! From the reviews I am seeing I'm not terribly impressed. I also believe I have finally figured out what boxes to keep. I think I'll just stick with loose button and julep. That is plenty. I have to get rid of glossy as of their 6$ increase. Sad. Thanks for the review!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Glossybox is going to see a major dip in subscribers- 21/month for random samples? I think not! Topbox is much better priced at 10/month and yes, you do get only 4 samples per box but that is fine by me!

      Delete
  7. Not very impressed :( They shouldn't be accepting new customers if it's going to end up with a weakened product. Topbox used to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but I cannot give up on them quite yet! I have faith :) haha

      Delete
  8. I really like that Stila lip gloss!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got my first one and I'm a bit disappointed because of what I've seen in their previous ones. Overall, I'm pleased but not overjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! This box is not horrible or anything, it has some good products but I just have a high bar set for Topbox because of their past boxes.

      Delete
  10. I was bummed with my first box. :( I'll probably post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww <3 don't give up yet, I have faith they'll get better!

      Delete
  11. It's nice to see they put in the lip gloss! I was thinking the same thing about the eyeshadow, it does seem like something you'd get in a magazine. I hope the next one is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, the eye shadow palette is kind of garbage to me but at least the mask and gloss are useful!

      Delete
  12. I was not pleased with mine either and you're right it's because of all the people they took off the waitlist. I'm sorry, but I think that they should have just kept people waiting rather than lower the quality of the box so drastically for their existing clients. Maybe it's just like cell phone plans where once you're a client, the phone companies don't care about you anymore, they only care about new activations...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I REALLY hope that isn't the case, Jayne! I hope this was a little blip and they'll be in better shape come next month! fingers crossed.

      Delete
  13. Agreed. They accepted so many new customers. I think the problem is because they have to obtain these samples for free even though we are paying for it. It's harder to find a larger quantity of high quality products (which is why they couldn't give everyone the balenciaga sample last month). In the end of the day, we think we are customers but the truth is, we're just paying to be advertised.

    Anyway, here is my review

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not bad! Although .. this month they really didnt stick to the topbox ways! a few boxes didnt have any larger samples which was surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not Topbox's best, but I would love to try the mask and the eyeshadow. You got some nice shades, there's a bunch of other ones floating around.

    Samantha
    Nailartcouture

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got the same box as you! I actually liked it because I can use everything but I heard that the shampoo/condt. sample is only 1 use! I hope I can spare some and use it more than once haha. How did you like the lip glaze? I dont want to try it because Im afraid the colour might be too dark for my lips

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have long hair too so itty bitty samples, even deluxe samples, just don't last me beyond two washes. I'm kind of over these monthly subscription boxes...though I must say that Birch Box does it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Newest follower here! I found you through the Tuesday blog hop! Cute blog, I can’t wait to read more! Thanks for the review.
    -meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great blog, just found you...new to the blog world...
    www.beckyinbc.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL at the Stila 'palette' :)

    Love your reviews! Followed your bloggg!!

    ♥,
    Shari
    The Misty Mom

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great unboxing. I've been seeing subscription services everywhere but there's so many that I don't know which ones I would subscribe to! My biggest fear about subscribing to a monthly box would be getting lame products, like that Stila "palette." But I guess you never know til you try right?

    Also, I wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award(:

    Elle
    Lipstick & Lace

    ReplyDelete

  22. aire bra Said
    that is good blog for ever in my life i really like it very much..& nice posting.I have no words for this post

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome review!You got some great stuff! New follower!
    Brittney
    http://beautybybrittney02.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey just hosting a little giveaway if anyone is interested :)

    http://xlamaria.blogspot.com/2012/12/have-glossy-new-years-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have an amazing blog!! I love it!
    It would mean SO much to me, if you could LIKE my "Boy Meets Bloglovin' Girl" collection on Lockerz.com! You can sign in using facebook or twitter! Only takes a second! Here is the link to my collection!: http://lockerz.com/u/sydney.kelly2724/collections/6068842/boy_meets_bloglovin_girl_?ref=sydney.kelly2724

    Xo
    Sydney

    http://www.SydneyFactorFashion.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  26. Did you wind up cancelling your subscription?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Luv your blog, found you on BBloggers Unite!
    you can visit me @
    http://found-n-the-desert.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. THe march's box was really good I got Marc Jacobs!

    new blogger ...show some<3 brokeanddbeautiful.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  29. PLEASE CHECK OUT MY BLOG, DOING A MAC GIVEAWAY WHEN I GET TOO 200 FOLLOWERS :)

    XOXO http://rorolovesbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. I miss your blog! :) Hoping that you feel inspired to write more soon! - Alexandra www.simplyalexandramyfavoritethings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. The Stila Eyeshadow Palette sample is absolutely adorable! Lovely blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great post!! I want to try those products like mia brush!

    ReplyDelete
  33. The Stila Eyeshadow Palette sample is absolutely adorable! Lovely blog :)
    Health and beauty

    ReplyDelete
  34. Luv your blog, found you on BBloggers Unite!
    you can visit me @
    ………… /´¯/)
    ……….,/¯../ /
    ………/…./ /
    …./´¯/’…’/´¯¯.`•¸
    /’/…/…./…..:^.¨¯\
    (‘(…´…´…. ¯_/’…’/
    \……………..’…../
    ..\’…\………. _.•´
    …\…………..(
    ….\…………..\.

    Shakti Prash

    ReplyDelete
  35. great article by administrator, its really effective
    "
    Shifa e Ajwa Paste"

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, There are new products on the market called Pai-Shau, Can U please make a review, Thanks in advance

    Hair Products

    ReplyDelete
  37. You have great blog. I follow you :)
    Would you like to follow my blog?
    www.guzelvekulturlu.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you so much for share this post with us.

    online grocery store in Lahore

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanku admin for sharing this informative post. Such a really great product.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...