Monday 23 April 2012

Review: Lavanila All-Natural Deodorant


LAVANILA "The healthy deodorant" in pure vanilla
LAVANILA makes an amazing natural deodorant. I purchased my first stick of LAVANILA pure vanilla deodorant (57g/$19.00) back in March and I feel like I can give an honest review after using it for around a month daily. I have been a huge supporter of natural deodorants for around a year now. I always knew that aluminum antiperspirants were 'bad' for you, but I didn't get serious about it until last year when I started using LUSH deodorants. Coming in a wide variety of scents, LAVANILA offers an all-natural, long-lasting scent to fight body odour. Their deodorant is free of aluminum, parabens, propylene gylcol, and harsh chemicals. It is loaded with soothing essential oils, botanicals and anti-oxidants which are meant to nourish, soothe, and strengthen the sensitive underarm skin, and fight body odour.
This deodorant is very easy to use. Like your normal drugstore antiperspirant, you simply apply it to your underarms at the beginning of your day. It goes on almost wet, and the feeling might be odd at first. However, the deodorant quickly absorbs into the skin and the wetness disappears. I also layer my LAVANILA deodorant with LUSH coconut powder deodorant sometimes. It adds more dryness and a great scent of coconut at the same time.
Looks just like a regular stick of antiperspirant, but it's much better for you!
This deodorant does a magnificent job of protecting from body odour. I have used it at the gym with great results, I have used it in my day-to-day life with great results, and when I work double shifts at work, I usually bring it with me and apply it again half-way through the day to ensure I keep smelling great. It goes on clear and will not mark up your clothing like powder deodorants. As it is free of aluminum, it will not protect you from sweating, but it will keep you smelling great. I find the price tag to be abhorring. Literally, I couldn't believe I spent twenty bucks on a deodorant stick! I am the girl who would spend no more than $3.00 on an antiperspirant at the drug store! However, the stick is a decent size and I am hoping it'll last me a long time.
I like this deodorant better than LUSH deodorants because it is so soothing. LUSH uses lemon in a lot of their deodorants which can be irritating, especially if applied near after shaving. I also like how easy this deodorant is to apply. LUSH uses no packaging with their deodorants, which makes them more messy and difficult to travel with, albeit earth friendly.
If you are thinking of making the switch to an aluminum free deodorant, please expect the first week or two to be difficult. It will take up to two weeks for your body to purge all of the aluminum from your skin, and you may smell more 'funky' than you would like. After two weeks, however, your body will have cleansed itself and you should find that your natural sweat doesn't smell so funky. 
Overall, I am a huge fan of this natural deodorant. It works great, and it smells lovely.. I just wish it was cheaper!
--S
PS. MAKE SURE YOU ENTER MY 50-FOLLOWER GIVEAWAY by clicking HERE

29 comments:

  1. You're right, once I started using the salt stick, you just smell "natural" after awhile. LaVanilla is pretty pricey, but they really do have some great smelling products. I'm a big fan of their perfumes because vanilla plus anything for me is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is the salt stick just a generic brand of natural deo? How much is it? I really like lavanila, if it lasts a good deal of time I may stick with it but if not I will need to find a cheaper alternative I'm betting!

      Delete
    2. It's generic, I've just been using the Shoppers Drug Mart house brand, but I think there's a purple one that's called "Crystal"? Something like that? It's uber cheap, like $7 at the most and last forever!

      Delete
    3. maybe I will buy one for kicks and try it out- if it works as well as lavanila the lower price will definitely win out ! lol.

      Delete
  2. Is there such a thing as a natural antiperspirant, or just natural deodorant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nope, just natural deodorant. antiperspirant's use aluminum to block sweat glands.

      Delete
  3. i've always been curious about this and thrown off by the price tag, since well it's deodorant. but i may indulge on this when i get my next sephora discount of some sorts haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I felt insane paying so much for a deodorant but I just took the plunge and did it!! haha.

      Delete
  4. OMG! Thanks for the review! I had just purchased a mini one (HAHA! Of course!) but haven't opened it yet because I was afraid of how it might work so your post was perfect timing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay which scent did you get? I look forward to a review from you once you've used it for a while :D

      Delete
  5. I've been really interested in these! But the price tag!
    I might try the Lush ones first to see if I like them. If I don't I will try these out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes LUSH has some cheaper alternatives but they take a little more fine tuning to get used to applying. Let me know how you like whatever you end up trying out! It'll make for a fun review post :)

      Delete
  6. I tried a natural deodorant last year and couldn't do it. Now I'm back on the aluminium crap and can't seem to get off it - I know it's bad though. I didn't know your body needed a few weeks to get it out of your system. What's a good drugstore (aka not too expensive) brand you would recommend to try? I would give it another go but don't want to shell out a lot right now. I have heard that LaVanila is an awesome brand - when they are on the Shopping Channel I will watch the whole program!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about toms, and it is quite cheap. I've only ever used LUSH and LAVANILA natural deodorants though. You can check out any health food store or the organic/natural section of your grocery store and there will be lots of natural deodorant options!

      Delete
    2. Yeah I've seen tom's before - I know that Loblaws has a whole natural section so I'll take a look next time I'm there. Sometimes the options can be overwhelming though, so if you've had success with Lush (I'm quite familiar with them) when I'm close to the Eaton Centre I'll pop by and see what they've got.

      Delete
  7. I don't kow if I could switch to a natural deodorant.....I just feel like I need that anti perspirant effect lol

    I do however love the Lavinia scents, they are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes some people are heavy sweaters and I could understand them not wanting to go off antiperspirants but if you aren't a heavy sweater, you should try it out! It's worth it for your health :)

      Delete
  8. wow, interesting deodorant..:)
    found you on blog hop, would you like to follow each other?

    yuliconversations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been thinking about switching from an antiperspirant to a natural deodorant, so thanks for this post! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haven't tried natural deodorants before... I'm like you and spend $2-$3 at Wal-mart or Shoppers... sounds like I should try switching though if regular deodorant isn't very good for me. Great review as always sweetie

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. $20? This is insane! It does sound like a great product though. I have been searching for a great deodorant.. Might have to try this out. Do you know if it is available in the United States?

    BTW, great ELF haul review. I love elf products.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I am your newest follower.
    http://myminibag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review! I've always been too scared to go aluminum free. I sweat like crazy when I work out. Maybe I'll give it a shot! Found you on bloghop :)

    http://calliopekitten.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I am a blogger as well that tries and reviews eco friendly beauty and hygenic products {when i am not blogging about travel and cooking :)}

    Just wanted to say thanks for spreading the word about healthy products!

    XO SimplyAlexandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this deodorant as well. However I have decided not to purchase it again as it contains an ingredient called "botanical fragrance blend" which is definitely not natural. Otherwise it was perfect! So close! And the search continues for the perfect eco-deodorant. I have had a recommendation to try Zosimos. So that is up next for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i know this is an old thread but i need to share my experience - its important! when i get nervous i sweat a lot. its not the amount that bothered me, it was the odor of my nervous sweat. so i bought a "clinic" deod\antiperspirant. wore it daily and it worked. but after 2 months i found a lump in my armpit. in the course of a week it swelled quite a bit and was very tender. couldnt even wear a bra. terrified i went to tge doc - i had an infected aweat gland. it hadnt abcessed thank goodness and was resolving itself after a week of no antiperspiant, washing 2x a day, no bra, keeping sweating to a minimum. so next week im hoping i can startcwearing a natural deoderant. long story short, this infection was do painful and scary, i will never touch aluminum based anti-perspirant again!! i am convinced they are very unhealthy! we sweat for a reason ... so i am going to allow myself to sweat. ill just try and smell ok while i do it. please be careful ladies ... and healthy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...